Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mercy

This topic has really been on my mind the last few days. Trace is the Mercy Ministry chairman, so he handles the mercy calls. He really doesn't tell me much, but there are some tough cases that he needs to share sometimes and we'll pray together for them.

Sometimes the people who call are con artists from way back and need a good, swift kick in the pants (at least, that's what I think). That's where I see God's call on Trace to do this job is so evident. He is a gracious and merciful man and will try to show them the gospel, even when he has to tell them "No". My first reaction is to roll my eyes and dismiss them. I can be skeptical and cynical at times.

Then, there are times of real need. This week, there seems to be a real need to rescue. Please pray for this family, as there are a lot of children involved and its very messy. That's what grabs my heart, the helpless children who don't understand, still trying to deal with very real emotions and changes in their life with little or no support. And how will this effect them as adults? I hope that we can help rescue these people and they will see Jesus and He will change their lives for the next generation. I'm so glad He uses His people to do this! How wise He is!

From this, I see our spiritual need for mercy. But, beyond that, I have had to deal with fears in my own heart. I've mentioned before my struggle is God's Provision. I deal with anxiety that He will one day pull the rug out from under me and we will have nothing. That's ridiculous, I know. But it happens to people everyday, one big thing happens (losing a job or in an accident) and they lose everything and struggle to obtain any kind of stability. I've had to pray for the Lord to help me work through those thoughts this week and trust Him. We are about to be at a place in our lives where we will own very little, during a time when people work their whole lives to have every possession. I want to give up any need for control and just rest in Him.

I'm thankful for all the beautiful things He has blessed me with and a relationship with the Creator, that I know I can rest in Him. Most people don't know the goodness of God, the loving Father He is. We need to tell them! How has the gospel impacted your life and don't others need to be rescued? Then, why don't I live that way?

God, help me, that I am so anxious of losing my wordly possessions, and not anxious enough that people are losing their souls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off...referring to your last posts...Angie Wilks said that a satellite was out on Monday and lots of people were without phone service.

Now, to this post...I too struggle with what I call the piano on my head philosophy. It's when everything in my world is "safe" that I fear God and want him more. Like he's going to drop a piano on my head to get my attention. Maja has tried to talk to me about this but it's like I'm always waiting for the bottom to fall out.