Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Food Quirkiness

As I'm sitting here eating my lunch, I'm a little grossed out by it. On the menu today is a cheese omelet and toast with jelly. Ya see, I LOVE cheese. So much in fact, I will eat eggs if they have enough cheese on them. I will not eat eggs by themselves or even scrambled with cheese, just a thoroughly cooked omelet with cheese (& other stuff like mushrooms, if I have them).

Another quirky food fact is chunks of fruit. Hmm, where do I begin? I like fruit as a food group and will eat them individually, but I'm not a fan of fruit salad. It makes me a little nervous. I have to be able to identify what I am eating, so I'll eat it if I can carefully inspect each bite. I know that sounds (and looks) weird, so I have learned to be rather discreet. I like raisins, but not IN food. But, sometimes the rules change. Take for instance Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I'll eat that because 1. I know its in there. 2. Its supposed to be in there. Weird, I know.
Other desserts with fruit-cakes or cookies, nope. Not if its got chunks of unidentified fruit! Pies, maybe. I do however eat cobblers. I told you, the rules change!

Chunks of apples had me afraid for most of my life, so much in fact that my Granny makes me apple pies made with applesauce. I will cut up an apple and eat it, but not cooked in something!

Meat= stress! I am not much of a carnivore, either. I like the taste of it ok, but what gets me is what I might bite into. Hard things, chewy, stringy things. My palms are getting sweaty as I type. I will eat a steak about once a year, if its very, very, very well done and if I can cut up each bite, inspect it and dip it in A1 and Heinz 57, alternating. No burgers, few hot dogs, some chicken. I will not eat it at home if I saw it raw.

Seafood-no no no! Bottom line= it smells bad!

Actually, since I have been involved in missions I have gotten sooo much better! You wouldn't believe the stuff I've been served (or seen and luckily not served). Once in Peru, we went grocery shopping in an outdoor market. They go everyday for fresh food since there was no refrigeration. I saw a dog pee on the potatoes, so I vowed not to eat potatoes for the rest of the trip. That was hard since that's one of the only things I liked there and I could always recognize. I ate a lot of PB&J for the rest of the trip!

Well, there you have it! Weirdness Supreme. But, I embrace it. And please don't be afraid to invite me to dinner!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The statement about the dog both grossed me out and cracked me up at the same time. Toilet humor, no pun intended! Girl, you better learn to be flexible with food, seeing how you will be travelling to a distant land in the not too distant future. So are we all getting together next week or what? I already told KimHill I needed my Kim fix. I need my Ginger fix too.

O, to add to your list, I hate dried fruit in things but love it by itself! And nuts too, I don't like nuts in desserts but love them by themselves. Slide on over and make room for me at the quirky food table!

Laura said...

I, on the other hand, have very little food quirkiness (save the hot dogs; see comments on Paige's blog). Though I'm not a huge fan of fish, and I absolutely detest olives of any kind.

And I'm not afraid to invite you to dinner. In fact, I enjoy finding new recipes so much that sometimes I read them "with an eye toward Ginger" (the friend, not the spice). Love the opportunity to suggest a recipe to you that I think you'll enjoy cooking. (Still need to give you that meatless soup recipe that uses new potatoes).

I do have to say, though, that the fruit thing makes me sad -- you're missing out on some really, really yummy salads! Hmmm, I feel a challenge coming on ... (Does it offend you when someone tries to convert you?)

Kim said...

'It makes me nervous'. Bwa, ha, ha, ha! I love, LOVE, to hear your food quirkiness. It provides great entertainment for me. I basically have NO food quirkiness. I'll eat just about anything. Hey, those potatoes would've been just fine after they had been washed and boiled. I'm aching to see your face right now! I'll be reading this post again later for entertainment purposes. Love ya friend!

Paige M said...

So funny. I'm like Kim. No food quirkiness whatsoever. Probably should be a little more quirky about some foods. I just don't like to think about gross things because it grosses me out, but not enough to stop eating it. ????? I am however obsessed with the health ratings at restaurants and won't eat there if it is below the 90s. I'll look at them closely and see what marks they got against them. Love to see a 100 rating. It makes me proud for them. You don't see this often. (Chick-Fil-A Leeds 100!!!) I like to comment to the manager how happy I am! I would love to be a health inspector!

Crissy said...

If meat tastes like meat, I'm out. I like bananas but not 'banana flavored' things. I like the smell of coconut but not the taste. Mushrooms... eck, makes my skin crawl to think of it. And don't even get me started on wild game.