Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Mission to the World

These past two days were wonderful! Trace and I went to the MTW home office in Atlanta for missions training. It was a big family reunion! We got to be around some of the most godly, grace-oriented people on the planet (although very human)and really came away feeling encouraged and having more direction.

No matter the weather outside, when you walk through the doors of Mission to the World its like a ray of sunshine. Really its a refuge in a dark world and I love being there. We were around people who are like us, who experienced the same unusual experiences of foreign missions(what little we've experienced), understanding everything that we say or ask, everything we are going through emotionally and personally. And I know they feel the same, everyone excited and content, ready to see their brothers and sisters in Christ and catch up. This weekend is the Global Missions Conference where most MTW missionaries are getting together. I wish we could go, but circumstances are not permitting this time. Although Trace and I have had limited interaction with these folks, what we've had has bonded us together. Through evaluations, interviews, prayers and couseling we've had to open ourselves up completely, lay ourselves out on the table for all of these people to examine and by the grace of God, they accept us anyway. Nothing brings you closer to folks than that.


One of the highlights of our trip was seeing Tom Courtney, the director of MTW Europe. He was our final approval to go to England and begin raising support. If that sounds intimidating, its because it is! We didn't know he'd be there and vice versa. We got off the elevator and recognized him at the same time he recognized us. He just came and approached us with a big hug and invited us to his table for breakfast. We had such a fun time. We got to see a different side of him, the silly side, not the intense, down to business interviewer side. It was encouraging to be embraced in that way, introduced to others working in Europe and feeling like a "part of the team".


One of the best parts was when it really hit me that these people will be our family, our support, our mentors and our friends while we are in a foreign place. Some will be with us, or on the same continent and the rest will be here in the US, doing behind the scenes work to keeps us afloat.


We really saw a different prospective on raising support to go on the mission field. We learned the biblical basis of it and how caring for our supporters was a big part of our ministry. Also, about speaking and writing prayer letters. We got a rough draft of our budget and learned about each line item. Man, great stuff. It was such a wise thing for our coach to suggest we come and get some of this training now!


Here's a tiny bit of interesting facts I learned about the biblical basis of support raising. Go on a mini bible study with me... (I linked the verses, just click 'em)

    God's Way-Teamwork

  • Priests were supported by offerings Num 18:8


  • Matt 10:10 Jesus told them to take nothing


  • Luke 8:1-3 Jesus and the 12 were supported by women of means


  • Phil 4:16 Churches sent Paul what he needed to live and minister


  • 2 Tim 4:9-13 Paul asking for help

I'm very thankful for the things I am learning and the people I am meeting while on this journey!








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a good time Ginger. I am also glad to hear you and Trace are finding your way through this process. I am a selfish human though, because I will miss you guys so much. Like Leslie said to Steve and Laura, I pray that God's will is stronger than my own.

Burt said...

wow ... you've got me fired up! I'm thinking I need to send you some money ... but on second thought

Crissy said...

So very different from my life and yet... connected and similar. Very cool to see God working in your life.

Laura said...

Ginger, it was good to talk to you tonight -- to hear about your trip to Atlanta and what you guys will be doing in London, to pick your brain a bit, and to dream, even, about the fact that we could be just a short boat ride away from one another. I'm astounded at the possibilities (and a little intimidated about the timeline, frankly). I'll rejoice with you over every dollar of support you raise -- every little step closer you guys get to Culcheth.

Burt said...

i got to hang out with Tom last night ... you're right, he's very funny and a really cool guy