Monday, January 3, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things...

For those of you who know me, you know I love all things British! I love hot tea, castles, scones, Coldplay, accents, Princess Di, etc...the list goes on and on. I thought I would make a short list of my favorite things so far about living in England. This list will grow and change, but for now, in my limited experiences, here they are (and in no particular order):

1. Nutella in BIG, glass jars- This was a favorite of mine in the States, but its better here. I have it almost everyday, just spread on a piece of bread, fold it over and enjoy. I tell myself it gives me the protein I lack...

2. Hot tea- readily available anywhere you go! I LOVE this feature! Two sugars and milk please!

3. Old timey keys- This place is a giant clash of ancient and modern, and keys are just one example! I like using these old keys to unlock my doors, its just charming to me. The only other time I've used a key like this is to lock my cedar chest, just a novelty before.

4. Good customer service. Seriously, folks, even the teenagers that work at the cinemas are nice to you! The people at the stores use their British wit to break the ice and talk to you. I like that.

5. Kids in school uniforms. It looks nice and everyone is basically the same.

6. Very quiet, green place. Even though you are surrounded by people, you wouldn't know it. Its very quiet here. You hear the birds singing during the day and nothing at night. Its also very green, even in the dead of winter. So the birds are out in the trees right now and I like to watch them from my kitchen window.

7. So many photo opps! Everywhere you look is old, charming or different. The way I enjoy a place is by learning the history of it and taking pictures, and capturing its charming, beautiful or unusual traits.

8. Quick wit- I've never had much for Mr. Bean or Monte Python, but I love the quick wit of the Brits! They can instantly pick up on something funny about the obvious and say it. I wish I was a quick thinker, but I'm not. I can just enjoy those around me who are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your list. I love a lot of British things too. I remember in my World History class in High School going over the British monarchs was always thrilling for me. I loved it and would listen wide-eyed to all the stories. Ooooo, and Nutella! It doesn't get much better than that! Everytime I have some I think of you : )

Crissy said...

As I was reading your list, I remembered with perfect clarity waking up in Astley that first morning. Through the window that we'd left open a bit, I could hear the birds. It was one of my happiest moments: being in England, the sun was shining, the birds singing, the green green grass and did I mention being in England?!? Perfect happiness. I can even smell it still. *sigh*

Love your list! A lot!