Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Love to Tell the Story...

I am disturbed by the disconnect between parents and their children. There are subtle signs like little to no communication from the teachers about what the kids are learning. Only a homework sheet sent home once a week.
Today I went in to ask when lunchtime was, so I could eat with Ansley and possibly Cullen too, if he wanted me to. The teacher looked at me like I was crazy! "Why would you want to do that?" she asked,with her head cocked to the side. " Is there something wrong?"
I just explained that Ansley had been asking if I could and that was a very normal occurrence at our old school. Also, some girls have been teasing Ansley and she wants me there. So, I gave up on eating lunch, but the teacher said she'd keep an eye out for kids picking on her.

I wonder as I go to the school office to ask questions or speak to the teachers if this is unusual to them. Today I met with the assistant principal and she said they welcome parental involvement and its an open door policy, but I get the feeling it doesn't happen much. I am not trying to undermine the authority by asking questions, only find out as much as I can about what they are learning so I can make sure they are transitioning well and understanding. That's numero uno priority for me!

There are also bold signs, like unruly children and frustrated parents. Its hard to see families (especially Christians) where the children know little or nothing of the Gospel. People who feel defeated by sin and keep an orphan mentality. So, the younger generation does not see the victory we have in Christ, the hope of the Gospel! They see the rules they are unable to follow and don't understand grace. They may have more of a connection with their friends than family, and what do their friends believe? When did people stop telling the story to the next generation?
"6And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." Deut. 6:6-7

I was thinking yesterday how our children are in the midst of the culture, even more than Trace and I. They are in the secular world most of the time, and without us there with them. So, what do we do, as parents of children being thrust into this almost Godless society? I pray like mad for them and talk to them as much as I can. I just have to trust that the Lord will guard their little hearts and minds. I will have to remember to always have the story to tell them...

1 comment:

Amber said...

caronome
ginger, thanks for sharing. we are praying for you. I am glad to hear of all the cool stuff going on--now we know what to pray for...
:)