Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What He Has Shown Me Today

We've been studying about repentence in a bible study for the past couple of weeks.
I really see God like an earthly father, which can be good and bad, I suppose. The good part is that since I haven't had a father since I was seven, I feel very close to God in that since. He has always felt very real, very close. But, then there's the bad part. As I ponder on it, I realize there are times in my life where I revert back to being a teenager, like I'm dealing with an earthly father. I will try to talk Him into doing what I want or rebelling against him and just hoping that He'll let it slide and not bother me too much about it. Where's the reverence? Isn't He so much better than that? Does He not think better of me than to just "let it slide". Can intimacy occur withour respect? I don't think so.

Here's a quote:
"Fears the Lord". Reverence might be a better word. Awe. The Bible isn't interested in whether we believe in God or not. It assumes that everyone more or less does. What it is interested in is the response we have toward Him. Will we let God be as He is, majestic and holy, vast and wonderous, or will we always be trying to whittle Him down to the size of our small minds, insist on confining Him within the boundaries we are comfortable with, refuse to think of him other than in images that are convenient to our lifestyle."
-Eugene Peterson

I have been asking God to show me my sin, and in the midst of that, He is showing me more about Him. He is so good...

No comments: