Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Leeds, I'm Not Feeling the Love

I went to Leeds today. Twice. I had to go take back late library books and renew my library card. So, I FINALLY get out the door at 10:45 because it takes FOREVER to get everyone ready and motivated to leave the house. We roll in and library is CLOSED. Great. Thanks.

So, we go to Cully's school, go home and eat lunch and the kids start fighting again. So, about 1:30 I say "Wanna go to the park?" So, off we go again to Leeds. Agenda: Library, Bank, Park.

Library- I go and am denied a new library card! Apparently, it is absurd that I would have a card in my name and bring my husband's pay stub to show we are eligible for a Jefferson County Library Card (we live in St Clair Co). It hasn't been absurd the past three years, because they've renewed it with only his pay stub, but today its ridiculous. OK, denied. Whatever. But, before I leave she says "Make sure you sign up for our Summer Reading Program!" Yeah, that makes sense.

The park was fun too! We are sitting happily in the shade when a major confrontation happens right beside us. This cranky elderly woman is yelling at this young mother across the park who is playing with her toddler on the playground. Telling her its against the law to get on it if your over the age of 5 and she is on the Park Board and is going to call the police. "Can't you read the sign right in front of you?!" she says, completely humiliating this young lady. Then, she lights up a cigarette right next to Cullen and Ansley! HELLO! So, we move to the other side of the park, ironically next to a sign that says NO SMOKING ON THE PREMISES. OH, how I wish I was a confrontational person, so I could go over to her and say "Can't you read the sign that says No Smoking? Aren't you on the Park Board?" But, instead I just went over to the embarrassed girl and told her she did nothing wrong by helping her child on the play equipment. I can't help but think about that instance today with that bitter old woman and see the Gospel in it.

We forgot to go to the bank. So, you know what that means... Tomorrow's agenda: Leeds, AL.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate Leeds. No offense to anyone who lives there, but that city is nasty. And every place I've gone there is dirty and the people are rude, from bank tellers, to the people at the grocery store, all of them have acted like they are just angry with the world. I'm sorry you had a bad day yesterday. I would have been mortified about that cranky old woman too. But I am a loud mouth so I probably would have smarted off at her and then felt bad about it later.

Anonymous said...

I also want to add that I've been to that park in Leeds twice and I've seen a bunch of unsavory charactors out there in their cars watching everyone. It creeps me out and I've not been back. I'll stick with the little one in Moody.

Amber said...

Oh dear. Today was bank and Wally world day, with a trip to the gas station with the vacuumer. did I mention I was planning to take my two active boys along with me? maybe I need to rethink this one....Planning to go to Trussville instead, but have this terrible gut feeling that t'ville is going to be just as bad...

So sorry bout your bad/mad time in Leeds! Feel free to vent any time! the post was really funny and I am laughing/commiserating with you.

Laura said...

Hilarious post, Ginger. I love the way you wrote it!

Jawan said...

Remember our conversation about that sign when I was at the park with y'all? Gosh, now I'm mad.

Paige M said...

I'm sorry you had to experience this, but I was laughing histarically at this post! The librarian in Leeds is some kind of serious about her job. I was denied a card too. Everytime I leave that library I'm ill about something she said to me or the way she said it.

Can't believe the ol'smoker at the park! What nerve. You really should have pointed out the sign to her. Read my post...I'm tellin' ya...people are crazy!

Paige M said...

How do you spell histarical??? I know that isn't right, sorry KimHill. hysterical, histerical, Guess I could look it up. Nah...

Scott H said...

That's good stuff! I laughed out loud and I needed it!
I don't really have any issues with Leed's, but Trussville is full of snobs!
Moody has a great park, and I am sure there are non-judgemental smokers there!