Friday, October 26, 2007

Housework ADD

I have housework ADD. If any of you suffer from this, you'll understand what I'm about say. It starts out in the living room, I start picking stuff up and I see a cup. So, I take it to the kitchen, where I see other things on the counter that needs to be put away. So, I put the cup in the sink and take the hairbow to the bathroom, where there's toothpaste on the sink. So, I go get the bathroom cleaner from the laundry room. As I step over the pile of clothes to get the cleaner, I think "While I'm in here, I just put this load in the washer." I do, but forget the cleaner and start to do something else on the other side of the house! I'm frustrated just writing it, so I know its stressful to read too! This is my day, everyday. Like Groundhog Day. Over and over and over and over... So, at the end of the day, I have a messy house with pockets of clean. And I'm exhausted because I've run myself ragged all day "cleaning".

How does this happen? Is it real ADD? Am I just dehydrated? I am, I learned that at the retreat. I don't drink enough water, so I have a bad memory and headaches. But, I start to get a glass of water and get sidetracked. Imagine that.

I started leaving reminders for myself around the house of what I was doing, so I don't forget. For instance, if I stepped out of the bathroom after I put the cleaner in, I'll leave the light on in the bathroom. My logic for that is I will always go and turn off a light, cause I'm so cheap! I'll turn off the light, but will smell the cleaner and remember I was cleaning the toilet. Sad, I know.

Ok, I'm bored with this blog. I must clean something, so I can tell myself and others I cleaned, even though they wouldn't believe me if they saw my house.

8 comments:

Paige M said...

Oh.......I feel your pain! This is my life! I have to stay in one room and not leave it until it is clean! If I go to another room, total chaos begins! I guess I can blame it on dehydration too! I can't even remember to drink water. I have to make myself a note! So sad.

Anonymous said...

Ginger, first off, your house looked clean to me when I came by the other day. Second, the only way I get my house clean is by focusing on one room at a time. Example, if I see stuff laying around I move it to another room, like the kitchen table, then go back and finish cleaning whatever room I was working on. True, things may sit on the kitchen table for a week, but darn it, after two weeks the house is clean! I didn't say it worked well, I just said it worked...sorry, this probably didn't help you did it. I call it my mobile mess.

heather said...

I think we need to start a support group I do the same thing I always hate that it takes me 2-3 hours just to clean main things and I can't clean until everything is picked up so this slows me down. I think the support group would just be another excuse not to clean so maybe not such a good idea.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry you have this problem. Sucks to be you. I could lick around my toilet it's so clean.
uh...
I didn't say I would. Well, maybe if there were M&M's around it, but no.

Kim said...

Hey, by the way, I love your Ants Marching song. It's my fav Dave Matthews diddy.
And when did I miss the "so you think you might be dehydrated" talk at retreat?

Crissy said...

I also have this disability. I have discovered though that I can clean waayyy faster if I always start in the same spot and work my way thru the room. Ex., I always start cleaning my kitchen at the end of the counter where the can opener is. I work my way down the counter, unloading and reloading the dishwasher last. Works for me.

All that said... my house is never completely clean. It's a dream I've finally let go of.

Dollar General said...

That's why I just give up all together...Ha! It's like you try so hard and get no where! Just RELAX...

Dollar General said...

That's why I just give up all together...Ha! It's like you try so hard and get no where! Just RELAX...